Empowering children to be readers!
- Every child in our community will have access to books at his or her independent reading level.
- Every child in the community will have the opportunity to own books.
- All programs and materials are free.
- The bookmobile is open to all children in our community but specifically targets our at-risk population.
- The bookmobile provides opportunities for children to engage in literacy activities during summer months. Engaging in literacy activities over the summer helps decrease summer reading regression.
- The bookmobile is designed to be a free, non-lending mobile library for children under the age of 18.
- Each time children visit the Bookmobile, they are given a free book and a snack.
- In cooperation with OCSD, the bookmobile staff tracks key information to document both quantitative and qualitative outcomes.
Driving Books Home-Oswego Bookmobile was founded in 2011 to give kids books at their independent reading level and help them continue reading during the summer months when school is out.
Driving Books Home combats an alarming trend. Testing indicates that economically disadvantaged children in the Oswego City School District are significantly less proficient in reading than their more affluent peers. By eighth grade there is a 40% gap between the percentage of economically disadvantaged children who are proficient in reading and the percentage of their peers who are proficient! This is due, in large part, to having limited access to books at their reading level in their homes and in their neighborhoods during summer months. This trend is commonly referred to as the “summer reading slide” and has a significant, long term impact on the academic success of children.
Driving Books Home-Oswego Bookmobile delivers free books, STEAM activities and snacks into the neighborhoods where our kids live and play during summer vacation. At each stop, our dedicated literacy specialists help children select books to own and excite them about reading. Every week features a different theme with related books and STEAM activities
In 2020, during the Covid-19 shutdown, Oswego Bookmobile was able to adapt the program to meet all safety protocols. Driving Books Home successfully delivered 2,160 books and snacks to 929 children. It was a challenging summer and Driving Books Home-Oswego Bookmobile was one of very few activities available to children. We are very proud to have been able to provide a bright spot over the summer months.